If you would like to undergo a facial rejuvenation procedure, but you’re not quite ready to take the plastic surgery plunge, you may want to consider facial fat grafting. The procedure can restore youthful contours, and replenish volume in different regions of the face, such as the cheeks and under-eye area. But what are some of the other benefits of facial fat grafting.
Facts About Facial Aging
Wrinkles, frown lines and drooping eyebrows, are just a few of the signs of the aging face. The face tends to thin over time and changes from a heart shaped face , to a more rectangular shape with much less volume. In addition, the loss of elasticity coupled with the effects of environmental factors, also adversely impacts the quality of the skin. Many people turn to cosmetic procedures like facial fat grafting to counteract this decline, and regain a more youthful appearance.
What is Facial Fat Grafting?
Facial fat grafting is a technique that adds volume to the face using fat that is transferred from other parts of the body. The procedure is also known as autologous fat transfer, or facial fat sculpting. The fat grafts are usually obtained from the abdominal wall, buttocks, or outer thighs, which are areas that generally have a lot of excess fat deposits.
Facial fat grafting is an in-office procedure that is done using local anesthesia and takes about 90 minutes to complete. Fat grafting is more common in women, especially those in their late 40’s and older.
How Does it Work?
The fat is harvested from the donor area using a liposuction procedure. The harvested fat cells are passed through a centrifuge and purified, before being injected into the targeted areas of the face. A new blood supply will eventually grow and provide support for the transplanted fat.
There will be some swelling and bruising after the operation and this generally only lasts for about 1-2 weeks. Final results can be seen by about 3 months.
Facial fat grafting is particularly effective for filling in lines, wrinkles, nasolabial folds and also for plumping areas such as the cheeks and jowls. Restoring fullness to the face goes a long way as loss of volume is a major contributor to the aging of the face.
Benefits of Facial Fat Grafting
- Improves the quality of the skin. The fat that is harvested contains stem cells that provide growth factors, which contribute to long-term facial rejuvenation.
- Produces long lasting results. The results of facial fat grafting generally last several years, or may be permanent. On the other hand, results achieved with soft tissue fillers typically last 6-9 months.
- Won’t cause an allergic reaction. Since facial fat grafting uses the body’s own tissue, the immune system won’t view it as a threat when it is injected into the face. Synthetic fillers are more likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Results look natural: A facelift often gives people that pulled-tight look, leaving you with little doubt that they’ve had work done. Facial fat grafting produces outcomes that look less drastic and more natural. The subtle results are a big part of the appeal of facial fat grafting.
- Shorter recovery time. fat grafting has a shorter recovery time when compared to surgical procedures such as a facelift.
- Fewer risks. Facial fat grafting is considered a minimally invasive procedure and there are no incisions and fewer risks.
- Contours troublesome areas. Facial fat grafting gives you the opportunity to get rid of fat from those parts of the body where fat deposits are often hard to remove.
With facial fat grafting there is often some concern about the survival rate of the transplanted fat, but with the right technique, surgeons are able to get a high percentage of fat cells to survive the transplant. That’s why it’s so important to choose your surgeon carefully, and to also have realistic expectations about the operation.
If you live in Orange County, CA, contact the experienced Dr. Kyle Song of Song Plastic Surgery in Irvine, for more information on fat grafting for facial rejuvenation. Call (949) 701-4454 today for a consultation.