For many women, the rigors of pregnancy and breast feeding result in undesirable physical changes that leave them distressed and unhappy. A mommy makeover offers them the chance to bring back their pre-baby body. Is there an ideal age for a mommy makeover?
What Is A Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover isn’t a single surgery, but it combines a few different plastic surgery procedures that are tailored to address the major concerns a woman has after pregnancy and nursing. The most popular mommy makeover procedures are done to rejuvenate the breasts and tummy; however, other cosmetic procedures may be included as needed. A mommy makeover may be done all at once or in stages, it all depends on the number of areas being treated.
Breast rejuvenation may involve breast augmentation, a breast lift, or both.
- Breast augmentation is recommended for women whose breasts have lost volume, and they therefore want to increase their breast size. This typically involves the use of saline-filled or silicone-filled breast implants, to restore volume.
- Breast lift surgery is done to correct excess skin laxity, which causes the breasts to become droopy and deflated. The procedure is done to raise the breasts, eliminate excess skin, and reposition the nipples.
Tummy rejuvenation usually includes a tummy tuck or liposuction or both.
- Tummy tuck: During pregnancy a lot of stretching takes place in the lower abdomen and this affects both the skin and the underlying muscles. Tummy tuck surgery can get rid of loose skin in the lower abdomen and also tighten the inner muscles. The result is a firmer, flatter tummy.
- Liposuction: Liposuction may be done alongside a tummy tuck to get rid of excess pockets of fat in the abdomen.
Recovery time from a mommy makeover depends on the procedures done. Breast correcting procedures usually require 4-5 days of downtime. Abdominal procedures may require up to 2 weeks of recovery.
Ideal Age For A Mommy Makeover
A mommy makeover doesn’t have so much to do with the right age, as it does with timing. Women of all ages get pregnant, and giving birth will affect their body in different ways. However, it’s important to note that women now seeking mommy makeover surgery are younger than they were a decade ago. Mommy makeovers can be performed on women over the age of 18. However, some women may choose to wait until they’re older, and are satisfied with the number of children they have, before doing a mommy makeover.
So if you are thinking about a mommy makeover remember these tips:
- It’s better to do a mommy makeover when your childbearing years are behind you. A future pregnancy will affect the results from your mommy makeover, so it’s best to wait until you are happy with the size of your family, before considering surgery.
- A mommy makeover should be done after your body has recovered sufficiently from pregnancy and breastfeeding. Most doctors recommend a wait of 6 months. If you have young children, make sure that you will have help available to care for them during the recovery period.
- A mommy makeover should be deferred until you are in good health, and also at your ideal weight. Don’t consider doing the procedure if you are actively trying to lose weight.
There really is no ideal age to have a mommy makeover. If you’re thinking about having the procedure done, simply choose the time that works best for you and your family. A successful mommy makeover requires careful planning, as well as a surgeon who specializes in the procedures you want done. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon about surgery.
Clients in Houston, TX, can contact Correa Plastic Surgery, The Woodlands, TX, for more information. We will ensure that your mommy makeover is custom designed for you and your body. To schedule your mommy makeover with Dr. Bryan Correa, call 281-419-9119 today.