The vision of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) is to be the world’s preeminent resource for biomedical laser and other energy based technologies research, education and clinical knowledge.
What is the ASLMS?
The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc. (ASLMS) was founded in 1980 and is the world’s largest professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence in patient care by advancing laser applications and other energy based technologies.
Who belongs to ASLMS?
Membership includes physicians and surgeons representing more than 50 medical specialties, nurses and other allied health care professionals, physicists involved with product development, biomedical engineers, biologists, industry leaders and equipment manufacturers.
How many members does ASLMS have?
The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery currently has more than 3,600 members, including approximately 700 members who are not in the United States.
What does ASLMS do?
The vision of American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery is to be the world’s preeminent resource for laser research, education,technology and clinical knowledge. ASLMS works toward this ambitious mission by:
- Conducting an annual conference for the multidisciplinary exchange of information on the latest discoveries, applications and research involving medical lasers and light energy sources.
- Publishing the world’s foremost laser journal, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine.
- Raising more than $1 million in the past four years for applied medical laser and related light energy technology research projects and grants.
- Establishing practice guidelines and safety standards for physician and non-physician use of lasers and related light-based technologies.
- Providing in-service education and testifying before regulatory authorities, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Sponsoring professional networking opportunities to clinicians and suppliers
- Supporting regional, national and international meetings of laser health care professionals.
- Disseminating public information about laser use that enhances patient care, including a website (www.aslms.org), that features a physician locator service, New Beginnings: Radiation Mark Removal Program, and other information about lasers in health care.
Organizational Values of the ASLMS:
- Excellence – The “sine qua non” of our existence.
- Integrity – We advocate and emulate high ethical conduct in all we do.
- Multidisciplinary – We advocate inclusion and embrace all specialties with whom we work and share knowledge.
- Leadership – We lead through example and recognize caring must be a cornerstone of our professional and patient interactions.
- Professionalism – We strive to set professional standards in all we do.
Standards of Practice at the ASLMS
The Board of Directors of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc. approved these documents on the dates indicated. The ASLMS Board has approved the contents of these documents in an effort to promote excellence in patient care by advancing biomedical application of lasers and other related technologies. While the ASLMS Board believes the guidance provided by these documents constitutes positive contributions to the field, the technology and clinical values are evolving and any guidelines will be subject to change. By publishing such information, the ASLMS assumes no legal duty to any person but instead seeks to serve the Society as the world’s pre-eminent resource for application of lasers and other related technologies.
Procedural Skill and Technique Proficiency for Laser Medicine and Surgery in Dermatology