A few decades ago surgical liposuction was the only way to get rid of unwanted body fat and rediscover your curves. Nowadays, there are various types of minimally invasive procedures that promise to reduce unwanted fat with less pain and very little downtime. But how effective are they, and what are the best liposuction alternatives?
Traditional liposuction is a very invasive procedure that involves the removal of fat from the body, via suction. There is also the modified version known as tumescent liposuction, which begins with the injection of an anesthetic solution into the fatty tissue of the skin, in order to numb the area before the cannula is inserted. The cannula is a small tube that is used to break up the fat, and suction it out of the body.
There is no doubt that traditional liposuction produces very good results, but the downtime is significant, and the procedure can be quite traumatic for the body. This has led to the introduction of several liposuction options into the market.
Alternatives to liposuction typically involve the use of cutting-edge technologies that use lasers, radiofrequency waves or ultrasound energy to liquefy unwanted fat. There are also options that destroy the fat cells by freezing them to a specific temperature. The fat is then expelled by the body during the normal elimination process, through the lymphatic system.
These devices are suitable for eliminating areas of localized fat deposits, and are not designed to remove large volumes of fat. They can eliminate stubborn body fat in areas such as the face and neck, upper arms, abdomen, hips, and legs.
Types of Liposuction Alternatives
- Vanquish is a fat removal option that uses radiofrequency energy to destroy fat cells. The device targets and heats up the fat cells, to a warm but safe temperature that kills the fat cells, resulting in permanent fat reduction. Vanquish is a non-contact device that is designed to hover over the skin. There is zero downtime required.
- Coolsculpting is another lipo alternative, but this technology uses controlled cooling through a process known as Cyrolipolysis, to freeze and destroy the fat cells. The fat cells that have been treated are eventually naturally eliminated from the body. Coolsculpting can be used to reduce fat in areas such as the abdomen, and the inner and outer thighs.
What Are the best Liposuction Alternatives?
It is advisable to consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, to determine which would be best for you. It is also important to do your own research. Be sure to find out:
- How many treatments you will need.
- How the technology works
- If there will be any discomfort
- How much it costs
- How soon you can expect to see results
- The type of results to expect
Be aware that non-surgical lipo is not for everyone, but for the right candidate, can provide similar results to surgery.
Liposuction Alternatives are Appealing for Several Reasons:
- Shorter recovery: You don’t have to take much time off work. Procedures offering minimal or no recovery time are therefore very appealing, and convenient
- It is gentler on the body: There is none of the bruising and bleeding commonly associated with traditional liposuction.
- Does not need general anesthesia
If you would like to eliminate localized areas of fat and reshape your body, but you’re scared about going under the knife, minimally invasive liposuction may be the right option for you. However, in order to maintain results, it’s important to commit to a healthy diet, and a regular exercise program.
If you are interested in learning more about liposuction alternatives, contact Wisconsin Vein Center & MediSpa, Pewaukee, WI. Call (262) 746-9088 today, and schedule an appointment with Dr. Deborah Manjoney. Dr. Manjoney will review the available liposuction options with you, and determine which one would be most suitable, based on your aesthetic goals.