CosMedicList logo Your one stop shop for cosmetic enhancement

In my 20s and losing my hair!

Question posted by joel from Ottawa

I’m in my late 20s and in the last few years my hair line has started receding. What are my options to fix this? I know there’s such a thing as hair transplant surgery, but are there any other options to consider?

Doctor's Response

Are you a plastic surgeon? Sign In or Register to answer.

2 thoughts on “In my 20s and losing my hair!

  • Hi Joel,There are four options to consider outside of hair transplant surgery :minoxidil (Rogaine)finasteride (Propecia)low level laser therapyplatelet rich plasmaThe most effective by far is finasteride but it also has a greater number of potential side effects.  Sit down with a physician who specializes in hair loss to understand these treatments and determine which is right for you. Dr Jeff DonovanDermatologist & Hair Transplant PhysicianToronto & Vancouver

  • Dear Joel,  Male pattern hair loss is a genetic condition and inevitable.  It can be slowly progressive or rapidly progressive, can be resulting in complete central oval hair loss or simply recessioning and thinning.

    You can get an understanding of the degree of hair loss that you might be faced with by looking at some of the male relatives on the Mother and Father’s side of your family.  There are some other non-genetic hairless syndromes that can result in hair thinning and these can be medically treated.  You should seek out a consultation with a certified medical and surgical hair restoration centre.  Generally, early thinning recessioning due to male pattern hair loss can be treated with non-surgical techniques such as low-level light laser therapy, topical 5% to 15% Minoxidil serum, topical nutrient serums and injection of plasma rich protein.  Oral medication such as Finasteride can block androgen production and minimize the effect of the five alpha reductase deficiency in your scalp and progesterone injections directly to the scalp can also be helpful.

    There are many options in treating male pattern hair loss prior to hair restoration.  You should seek out the consultation of a hair restoration expert and centre specializing in this. I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

    To find out more, please visit our page on hair loss.  R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.

    Certified Plastic Surgeon

    Yorkville, Toronto

Filter By Category

Recently Answered